The Zabrocki furniture restoration business was established in 1959 by Mr Richard Zabrocki (pictured), who learned his trade from his father Zygmunt in Warsaw, Poland, before the Second World War.
Richard was a self-employed furniture restoration specialist in Saville Row, Newcastle upon Tyne for ten years, working exclusively for a well-respected antique dealer of the time. In 1969 he relocated to his workshop in Hoults Yard.
In 1979, Richard’s son Ian began working for the family business. During his apprenticeship, Ian learned a vast range of skills from his father and he has continued to develop his own repertoire of techniques.
Ian is now the owner of the business, continuing its work in the memory of his father, Richard, and drawing upon the immense encyclopedia of knowledge passed down to him.
Like his father before him, Ian takes great pride in using traditional skills to restore antiques to their original condition, as though they had been well cared for throughout their life. The Zabrockis have never used inappropriate, modern refinishing techniques on antique pieces.
In 2013, Ian moved his workshop from Hoults Yard to a purpose-built facility in Newburn.